Saturday 31 January 2015

Great Picture! Good for Movies, Excels at Gaming - Sharp LC-39LE551U 39-inch Aquos HD 1080p 60Hz LED TV Review


*Update 2 with minor details I've noticed after using for a while

*Update one at bottom of review with calibration preferences

This TV is fantastic. I was skeptical after reading some other reviews about the calibration, but I dove in anyways. I am incredibly picky with products I buy and obsess over every little fault or drawback.

Pros:

Easy set up, no manual needed (it doesn't come with one either). Just screw in the antennae, plug it in, put the batteries in the remote and you're good.

The picture is great. It isn't a "smart" tv put it is still pretty smart. When you switch to playing games it automatically adjusts the picture to game mode. I owned a Samsung before that didn't do this.

No detectable input lag. I play Titanfall ,a super fast moving game, and this TV is impressive. I can't fault the TV for my terrible K/D spread, so it must be my internet... Or modders... But definitely not my skills...

I love that it isn't a smart TV. This may be a drawback for some because smart TV's are convenient if you don't have a streaming device. I thought about getting a Vizio smart TV but it would be a feature I wouldn't be using, and I didn't want to pay extra for that.

No ghosting, the whole "120 hz, 240 hz" is a marketing scheme in my opinion. Or maybe I just don't have a "refined eye" for television. I've looked for it but everything is so fluid and crisp. I had a TCL that ghosted like crazy so it is one of the first things I check now!

Good remote layout. They know what I like. Both the power button and the input button are easy to find in the dark.

Aesthetically pleasing to the eye! The bezel is slim, the stand looks nice, and there are no lights that stay on after you shut it off.

Cons:

I don't want to be "that guy" who says there are no cons! But I really had to be nit-picky to come up with one.

There is no internet connection so you can't register the TV on the initial set up of the TV. You either have to mail in a card they give you or go online to do it. Not a big deal, but I tend to forget if it's not part of the initial set up.

Conclusion:

If you're on the fence about this TV all you have to ask yourself is "do I need a smart TV?" If not, this is the set for you. It plays games without a problem and the picture is incredible.

Update #1

It has been a few months since I've had this TV. I've used it quite a bit.

Recently I've been playing Destiny on it and it looks fantastic. Everything still works great but there is one thing that stands out that I didn't realize when I wrote my original review.

I have this TV in my bedroom and I've started to notice a strange phenomena. When The TV has been on for a while and it is shut off it sounds like the plastic starts to adjust (probably from the heat) and it is quite audible in a quiet room, like a popping sound. It's not super loud but it is a very strange thing. I have a vent in my room that kicks on and is directed towards the TV, it will make those same sounds while the temperature changes. Doesn't negatively affect anything but I've never noticed it with other TV's.

It doesn't bother me enough to detract a star. If you have this TV anywhere but a quiet bedroom I doubt you would even notice it.

For adjustments I played around a little. My room is very dark so I can't imagine this calibration being a "one size fits all". I adjust the mode depending on how bright it is in my room. Here is what I like to use for the most part though:

***UPDATE 2**

After using this for a while I've noticed some things other people may be concerned about. There are two HDMI slots on the back that are close together. I noticed that one of my HDMI plugs was too bulky to fit when the other one was plugged in. Luckily I had a thinner HDMI cord that remedied this. There is also a side HDMI slot, but it's hard to hide the cord because it sticks out the side of the TV and is hard to ignore.

The other thing I noticed is that it is a pain to plug in the coaxial (TV cable), as it is close to the set and doesn't leave a lot of room to screw it in. These are minor things I've noticed and once it's plugged it it's plugged in. I don't mess around with the cables very often.

I turned off all of the advanced picture modes (especially when I'm playing a game). Another reviewer, Nathan, has played around with settings that I like as well. Here's the link to his review: http://www.amazon.com/review/R2XFCCO5MYX7X5/ref=cm
Contrast: 60
Brightness: 55
Color: 60
Tint: 0
Backlight: 40
Sharpness: 15
Color Temperature:Natural


Great Picture! Good for Movies, Excels at Gaming -   Sharp LC-39LE551U  39-inch Aquos HD 1080p 60Hz   LED TV Review

No comments:

Post a Comment