Saturday 31 January 2015

Great machine with a fatal flaw - Sony VAIO SVF15A16CXB 15.5-Inch Touchscreen Laptop (2.0 GHz Intel Core i7-3537U Processor, 8 GB DDR3L, 1 TB HDD, 8GB SSD, Windows 8) Black Review


I really want to love this laptop, and by all rights I should. Speed is smoking, screen resolution is great, I love everything about it, but...

Sony appears to have saddled ALL of its new FITs with a sub-par (and/or defective) Broadcomm wi-fi card. As I write this, I am sitting less than 2 meters from my router (itself less than one year old). The laptop is showing five bars, but the speed is 5.5 mbps. If I move the laptop farther from the router, say 5 meters, bars drop to 1-2, speed frequently drops to 1-2 mbps, and frequently the signal cuts out entirely. Any farther out and you can forget about a signal. I expected more from Sony, particularly on a laptop being sold at this price point. I have been following an increasingly frustrated discussion of this topic on Sony's community website (started 01JUL2013, and closing in on 300 comments), waiting and hoping for a solution from Sony, but the silence has been pretty deafening. So far, the best solution from the group appears to be replacing the defective wi-fi card on my own dime, quite likely voiding Sony's warranty on the machine. Not cool.


Great machine with a fatal flaw -   Sony VAIO SVF15A16CXB 15.5-Inch Touchscreen Laptop (2.0 GHz Intel Core i7-3537U Processor, 8 GB DDR3L, 1 TB  HDD, 8GB SSD, Windows 8) Black Review

No comments:

Post a Comment